Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Word Count

My first thought is huh? I am a very wordy person. What you might say in a couple of sentences it takes me four to five. This whole word count issue has really become an "issue" for moi. I am on Twitter and I follow several authors. Occasionally I see that they mention their word count goals for the day or mention how many words they've written on that particular day. For me I never have really worried about the word count, but rather the content. I worry about whether I got down on paper what I wanted to convey and if it got me closer tot he finish line or not.

So I decided to do some poking around on the internet. That hasn't gotten me near as far as I would have liked. I thought if I found a general rule then I was good to go. Apparently, not everyone is on the same page when it comes to word count. If you are a new author you seem to be given a limit as to how many words you can use and then if you are a veteran you seem to get more leeway. One site even went through this ridiculous process of explaining that what my computer says is my word count and what a digital copy with say my word count is are two totally different things. HUH????

I found a website that claims anything under 60,000 is a novella - even in young adult. Yet, another site claims that most YA novels are between 40,000 and 60,000. I also found another site that claims that a new author for YA needs to keep their words below 100,000. And many others claim that is the same for an adult novel. My guess is that I am going to have to go with the 40,000 - 60,000 word count claim.

Now just how to do this? It scares me to worry about word count while I am busy trying to convey a message and get my story out. Therefore, I have come to the only logical conclusion I can for myself. I have decided to just write the darn book and not pay any attention to word count. When I finish I will calculate my word count and then try to trim it if need be. And I am almost positive I will need to trim my story. Without a doubt!

Till next time, have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment