Friday, October 1, 2010

"Do I have to have dialog?"

I recently asked myself this very question.

"Why of course you do?" I countered myself, "How else are you going to bring your characters to life and give them (and the plot) dimension.

I just really feel like I am lacking in the dialog skills department. I have found in the past that I tend to struggle with what I want my characters to say and how they need to be talking to each other for the reading audience to visualize what I have already visualized in my mind. In recent days I have come to the conclusion that I must just get something out of their mouths and onto the paper. I can always edit and make it better.

Speaking of, this is where studying comes into play. I love to read. Reading other works is a great way to learn how to write dialog. I look at other authors who have managed to write dialog throughout their books. I mean think about it. How could you get through your day without talking to others? I couldn't. So, I look to see how they portray things and make note of it. It's a great tool.

But, I have to keep in mind that no matter what I write, it has to be in my protagonists voice. Not mine. Therefore, I have to figure out how she thinks. Likewise, if I am writing dialog I have to write the other characters' dialog from their perspective. This is where I get confused. I end up switching back and forth from perspectives and occasionally they get all mangled together. Editing, editing, editing!

I love editing!

Until next time have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of the opposite. I love writing dialogue, jumping from person to person and knowing exactly how they're going to react. But still: this doesn't mean that it's good. I often go back and realize how, although in character, something is poorly written. I bet your dialogue comes out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wonder constantly that I don't have enough dialog. Then I'll add dialog and wonder if it's too much or unnecessary dialog. Eventually, I hope to get to the point where I realize that I've hit exactly where I feel it should be. Then I'll be ready to submit it. Hopefully! :-)

    ReplyDelete