Monday, October 25, 2010

How to Write a Novel?

The big question us non-published authors seem to obsess over: How to write a novel?

When I decided to write that big novel I started writing it. Then it hit me I didn't know what
I was doing. I looked up "how to write a novel" on Google.

The first thing that pops up is The Snowflake Method. Don't get me wrong when I say huh? If I even tried to use this method I'd be burned out and uninterested in whatever it was that sparked my imagination. It's similar to what I did on my first novel, which is currently being shelved for a later time. I got too obsessed over what to do I didn't just do it.

How often have you read an article or interview where an author said it took two years to write their breakout novel? I have all too often. So the next link had me laughing. How to write a novel in 100 days or less. Okay, for those of you who are like me and writing your first novel this looks wonderful. But with the first day you're doing nothing more than making a promise to write that novel. The second you're carving out time in your already hectic schedule to write. Hmm? Flipping from day to day I found that most of this is simply little tips of encouragement. Where's the how to? Oh well, so much for a plan.

WikiHow even has a site on How to Write a Novel. This is helpful, if you just decided today that you are going to start. It only gives the basic tips. Sound tips, but basic.

About.com even has a similar How to Write a Novel site. Helpful, but very basic. Possibly more basic than WikiHow. Not a lot of help.

My favorite online How to Write a Novel is a blog entry by author Justine Larbalestier. This is probably the most sound information I have found so far. I highly suggest reading her blog post.

So much for having lots of helpful online sites. The most popular ones that pop up aren't really that much help after all. Out of five sites only one was really helpful to me.

What sites have you found helpful?

2 comments:

  1. Actually, when I first wrote a novel, I didn't look up anything. It's probably why it didn't come out very good! But for me, just sitting down and doing it was (and is) how I write.

    I guess if you want to write a novel, you have to find something, a website or a book or whatever, that pushes you to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I started out too. I didn't look anything up. It wasn't until later that I decided to start looking up information. Then I hit an overload of information telling me what to do and what not to do. It got really confusing for a while.

    ReplyDelete