Monday, October 4, 2010

My "Writing Bible"

So, I heard recently all writers should have a "Bible." I never thought of it that way, but I guess that's what I have. I carry it everywhere when I'm writing. It followed me to Texas this past summer and even follows me from room to room in my house depending on where I'm writing at the moment. Yes, I love my laptop. It can go anywhere!

My "Writing Bible" is almost stuffed. I'm sure I'm going to need to upgrade to a larger binder very soon. As of this moment it consists of a 1" binder full of everything pertaining to my story. I have a character sheet for every single character in my story. I have my own version of Blake Snyder's "Beat Sheet" and a quick over view of what I want to happen in my story. Then I have notes, random notes. Sometimes I will think of something I want to do later on in the story or fix. That goes into the random notes.

I have a map of my town included. Silly enough I even have a house plan I copied out of a house plans book for my main character. I'll never get lost in her house! As I finish chapters I will print them out. I think it helps when I have to do revisions. I can read through what I wrote and then comment to myself in the margins. Later, I can do the actual revisions on the computer.

So, that's my "Writing Bible." What's yours like?

2 comments:

  1. I have two, I guess. One is a notebook where I write down inspirations when my laptop is off. The big "bible" is on my laptop and completely disorganized, just the way I like it. It has an outline, character descriptions, research, chunks of manuscript I've edited out but want to keep for reference and all the really good advice I come across on the internet on how to improve it. I've never really thought of it as a writer's bible, but I guess it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have a ton of these books. One for every writing project I've started or am thinking about starting. It's quite funny how I have so many of them. I'm starting to look like Binder Lady. lol

    ReplyDelete