Friday, October 22, 2010

Taking a break

Okay, so I've been writing and rewriting this novel for over a year now. I think it's time to put some distance between us. I'm not getting really anywhere with it at the moment. Other than irritated that I'm not already where I want to be with it.

So, after a little thought I've shelved it for the moment. Yes, I do intend on pulling it back off the shelf and working on it eventually. But for the moment I have decided to continue writing, just on a different project. Or more like two different projects.

First, I have a story that I would love to get into novel form and out of my mind and onto paper. As of this writing I am six chapters deep. And ... I feel great about where I'm going with this one. My last project I obsessed about the outline and sticking to the outline - I almost felt like I was pushing the story line. And that's the last thing I want to do. This time I'm going with the flow and write what I'm feeling at the moment. Yes, I am working off the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet, but it's open for changes. I am also using different points that Robert McKee uses in his "Story." This one feels much better to me.

Second, I have a blog that I am working on short stories for. I will begin posting them I think in November. I have two shorts written, but would like to start posting once I have about six written. That gives me time to work on more - I don't want to feel forced to write a short story for a deadline. As of now I am thinking I will post two shorts a month. That is unless I get really into it and begin spitting out stories like mad.

Third, I am working on a contest for my short story blog. I'd like to do a contest for Christmas and giveaway a book or two. Of course that is given that I have followers on that blog by then. I am enlisting my daughter and her friends to spread the word about the blog to get followers. lol

Fourth, this blog. I have to get more blogs written on this one, but I'm not sure what to write about yet. I have to come up with some more ideas and get cracking.

Until next time - Have an ecstatic day!

2 comments:

  1. I love short stories (though I'm not very good at writing them--they always come out long!) And don't worry about the burnout. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Also, it increases your objectivity:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My short stories are always long too. I hare the contests that give word count limits. I can never stick to them. I'm working on one of those right now. It's killing me to keep my "short" story so "short." lol

    ReplyDelete