Monday, November 29, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

Well, NaNoWriMo is over, almost. One more day to go and I still haven't hit my 50,000 word count. Technically I lost, but I'm giving myself a win.

This was the first NaNoWriMo I've done. I didn't intend on doing it at all. In fact, I didn't want to at all until October 30. Talk about jump on board at the last minute. I was off to a great start, but as the month wore on and I had a gazillion things to do I dropped off on the word count.

BUT, that doesn't mean I didn't meet my personal goal.

I wanted to give NaNoWriMo a go and try it out. I only missed by about 10,000 words. Yet, in the end I did finish a novel.

I love reading and writing Young Adult novels and most, when finished, run between 40,000 to 60,000 words. The fact that I hit the 40,000 word count on my first run through was great. I still have lots of editing to do; things to change, add, or delete. BUT, I finished a novel and I actually like it.

I think with some tweeking I will have a great YA novel ready to query.

Therefore, I do not feel I "lost" NaNoWriMo. No, I'm giving myself a "win" this year.

Bring on NaNoWriMo 2011!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you feel as though you've won. That's a tremendous achievement. And if you're like me, you used NaNo as an impetus to get writing done you might now have otherwise. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete