Monday, December 20, 2010

The Domino Effect

I've read several year in review blog posts recently and thought it would be nice to do one myself. I think I have had a really interesting and eventful year. I hope this next year will be just as productive.

I started out the year attempting to write WIP #1. I had already been working on it for 9 months. Yeah, I know it was taking a long time. Since it was my first attempt at writing I still had not worked out all the kinks in my writing process. Or my plot for that matter. There were tons of kinks. I kept fussing with the plot outline. Then when I would sit down to write I found way too many glitches and had a difficult time putting everything together. I found that as I wrote the characters and story would take me someplace different than I had intended.

I was not on Twitter, Facebook, nor did I have this blog. I did have an infant and a teaching degree. I was told by so many professors not to get on Twitter, Facebook, or have a blog. They said it would hinder my finding a teaching job. Eventually I made the decision to create a Facebook page to keep in touch with family all over the country. Then I broke down and started my blog and got on Twitter.

And thus the domino effect begins. It was through Twitter and blogging that I found so many new friends and others like me.

  • Without Twitter I might not have heard about NaNoWriMo.
  • Without Twitter I might not have met Kayla Olson, whose tweet prompted me to sign up to participate in NaNoWriMo two days before it began.
  • Without NaNoWriMo I might not have finished my WIP #1 - Presently titled "Stone Magic."
  • Without NaNoWriMo I might not have figured out that the best way for me to write is without an outline.
  • Without NaNoWriMo I might not have cracked down on myself to make time to write.
  • Without Twitter I might not have found many great blogs - too many to link to in this post.
  • Without Twitter I might not have learned of SheWrites or Goodreads. Both of which I have joined.
  • Without Goodreads I might not have ever won two ARCs, Wither by Lauren DeStefano and The Book of Tomorrow by Cecilia Ahern.
All in all I am extremely pleased with this past year of writing. I got a shaky start, but eventually pulled it all together and hit a goal. I have since created new plans and goals for this coming year regarding my writing. I have learned what my process is and what I need to do to meet my goals.

How was your year in writing?

4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous. I love seeing how the community bolsters other aspiring writers. Also, Kayla = fabulous.

    Congrats on winning NaNoWriMo! I did not this year, but did last year and was able to complete my very first WIP. It's an amazing feeling and I'm so glad you got to enjoy it. My year has been a bit of a stutter, but all in all, I'm miles further than last year. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically I didn't win, but I did finish my novel. I was shy by about 10,000 words. After my 1st round of editing I am shy of 50,000 words by 1,700 words. Since it's a YA novel I'm not worried.

    Congrats on winning & finishing your WIP. Finishing, whether we hit our word goal or not, is the biggest hurdle. At least that's what I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to trace the domino effect. :) Congrats on finishing your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mo! I feel so much better knowing it is finished.

    ReplyDelete