Friday, December 17, 2010

Pen Names

I know it sounds silly, but I had originally thought of using a pen name when I first began to write. I had a good reason stuck in there, but as I've gone on I decided not to and to go with my own name.

What was my reason? I'm so glad you asked. Well, I graduated not that long ago from a very long stint in college. My degree was in history, something I enjoy very much. I have several projects that I would like to see through to the end and possibly publish in the future. In the beginning I thought that since my degree is in my name I should publish my historical research under my own name and leave my fictional writing under a pen name.

According to Wikipedia many popular and well known writers have used pen names. The most notable pen name I came up with off the top of my head was Anne Rice. The website lists Stephen King and the Bronte sisters as a few of the many popular and well known writers to have used pen names.

As I've gone on, however, I've decided that I want to stick with my real name for my fictional writing. I'll decided how to proceed when I get back to the historical research. For now I'm completely immersed in writing paranormal for young adults. Obviously I will need to figure something out. Who would take a historical writer serious if she also writes paranormal YA books? Me, but that's a given. lol

Where do you stand on pen names?

7 comments:

  1. I kind of think of it as "Go with what works for you." I know some writers change their names so fans of one type of book they write (say, YA) won't confuse another type (adult romances). There are even those who change their names at their publisher's request for marketing reasons (that's how Joanna Rowling became JK Rowling).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a huge spiel from my publisher about pen names and personal lives vs. public lives, etc. I did decide to go with my real name, though. Everyone has to decide this for themselves. It's definitely a personal decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it really is a personal decision and that going with the flow is the best thing. As of right now, I'm going with my real name. Maybe that will change when I finally find an agent and publisher (fingers crossed). We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I that, too, and then I self-published under my real name before getting my book deal and couldn't really change it after that because the book has done well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually just got "Cinders" from Amazon. I read your post about how it would only be available to purchase for a short time, so I nabbed it. I'm planning to read it on the plane later this week. Can't wait. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted one for a long time - even had a blog post about my search & thought I found "THE NAME" - and it didn't work. Then I went back to using my real name - and then flustered about with that as well.

    For me, it boils down to privacy. I'll most likely end up with a pen name.... but it's so far in the future I've stopped worrying about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I still have time to go before I have to make the ultimate decision on names. :-)Privacy is an issue.

    ReplyDelete