Monday, December 27, 2010

A Writer's Tool Kit

This post came to mind after seeing a Tweet from @MyraMcEntire. She tweeted: "Pooh has a Thinking Spot. I have a Thinking Shower. Every writer needs these:" She attached a photo of bathtub crayons. I loved it and agreed. I find that I tend to think about things to write or fix in my writing at the most inopportune moments. Like the shower or when I drive. I started thinking of other things writers need and came up with this:


Eight Tools Every Writer Needs


1) Computer - Without one the job is extremely daunting. How on Earth did writers write entire novels before computers? I'd be lost without mine!



2) Coffee, coffee, coffee!!!! Let's face it most of us can't write a word until we've had our first sip of coffee in the morning. And some of us hang out in coffee shops drinking and writing. You know who you are.



3) Twitter - We need something to distract us from writing. Oh and think of all the writer friends you've made through Twitter. Let's face it, we understand each other.



4) Time - Yes, that's right time. We all need time to schedule our writing in. Now if only we could find that time.



5) Books!!!!! We need to keep up with the market and our friends. As much fun as they are to read I hate to break it to you, we're actually studying when we read.




6) Music - I'm sure most of us listen to music when we write. It sets the mood. Pumps us up or soothes us. We all need it. I prefer to listen to my iPod when I write. I have a playlist specially created for my writing. I know others listen to Pandora. I might just have to check it out myself this next year.



7) Bath Tub Crayons - Yes, I did just add that. It was an excellent idea on Myra's part. I'm always thinking in the shower. It's my thinking spot.



8) Voice Recorder - Yet another tool for when you can't jot something down. My husband got me a digital recorder for Christmas this year. I tend to find myself coming up with ideas while I'm driving. Inevitably by the time I can write it down I always forget whatever grand idea I had.


I'm sure there are more items we all need in our tool kit for writing. But, since I was lacking more of #4, I only came up with 8.

4 comments:

  1. Did not see the bathtub crayons coming, but I like it. With four kids whirling around me, sometimes the shower is the only quiet place in the house... :)

    I would add "Writing Blogs" to this list. There is so much good stuff out on the Internet from other writers who have been there, done that. And I often find inspiration or good how-tos on other writers' blogs.

    Thanks for the great list!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, it was in the shower after I completed this entry that I thought of more things to add. Like you, the shower is the only peaceful place in my house.

    I agree with the blogs; I should have added that one. I also thought about my "Writing Bibles." I have a writing binder for every project and NEED them to organize everything.

    Thank you for the comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought of bathtub crayons. Thanks for the fabulous idea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought of them either until I read the tweet by Myra. I couldn't help myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete