Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm back!

It feels so good to be back to writing. If you follow me on twitter then you may know I fell a couple weeks ago and hurt my thumb / wrist area on my right hand. The lovely doctor put me in a half cast and told me to see an orthopedic, which I did. I hoped he would take the thing off, but he didn't. So I was stuck with that thing on my hand and only one hand to type with. Talk about errors and I typed so slow it drove me nuts.

So, I decided to read instead of write. I've read 7 books already this month. Wow!

At first I thought what a waste of time this is going to be. I can't write anything and I had hoped to write a whole other book this month. Here we are in the last week of the month and I have nothing new written. Well, except for a short story that I plan on submitting for a contest, but that's a whole different topic.

As it turns out having this extra time only has helped me. As I said I've been a reading fool. I love reading and reading reminds me of why I started writing in the first place. I love the stories, the characters, the new worlds, I love to get lost in them.

I also use reading as a research. How did this author tackle this? Ooh, I like what this author did here. And, this is a great way to twist the story. It's good to read other authors work and see what they've done. How they've created their worlds. I can't help but think sometimes to myself. I wonder if this was in the first draft or if this is a new addition or has been through the editing ringer.

Not to mention the actual research I did for my books. That was good and helped me grasp my stories better as well.

So, now that I'm facing February I think I'm better prepared to begin writing. I'm going to finish out this month tying up the little loose ends on my editing and research. Then I will focus on the writing.

Let the writing begin on February 1st.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'm just reading this. I didn't know you'd hurt your hand. Two and a half years ago, just as I was hot and heavy into writing Brevity, I fell and broke a bone in my right hand (my dominant hand.) It was clumsy and infuriating, but I finally managed to type with my left hand and two fingers and thumb of my right.

    I hope your hand heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to type as best as I could, but only ended up frustrated. So, I decided to read non-stop. I practically stayed off the computer for two weeks. Not like me at all. :-) Now I'm back to writing and feeling so much better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you'd hurt your hand! I'm so happy you're feeling better! I'm reading through your posts on plot/story:I'm slowly acquiring those books for my own collection, because when I borrowed them from my library, I wanted to scribble in them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, I had the same problem. I was able to get "Save the Cat" at my library and I kept rechecking it until they wouldn't let me anymore. I couldn't even find "Story" at my library, which was good. I bought it and immediately started highlighting.

    ReplyDelete