Friday, February 25, 2011

Editing - Stage 1

For the past week I have been working on editing my newly finished WIP, Midnight Raynne. I have so much that I really want to change about this first rough draft. For starters my ending falls short - big time. I wasn't happy with it when I wrote it and I'm still not happy with it right now. As of Tuesday I had a new ending figured out, but I'm still not sure I really like this new ending.

First, I sat down and went scene by scene with my WIP & created a spreadsheet. This allowed me to see what happens almost beat by beat. I really think this spreadsheet helped out a lot. Once I had it all completed I could go back through and add notes to each scene with what I wanted to do to make the scene better.

Yesterday, I sat down and started editing each actual scene. I did great yesterday, today is a different story. I just haven't been really into the scene I'm trying to write. Plus, I can't get this new ending out of my mind. It's just not sitting well with me. I'm almost afraid to go through with the new edits and then decide to go a different route with the ending. I have been tossing around a third idea, but I'm also afraid to go forward with that one. If I do decide to go forward with this new idea I would have to change a great deal of the story line. Hence, my fear to go forward with this round of editing. I would hate to go through with it only to have to redo everything all over again.

What to do, what to do? *sighs*

Your turn -> Have you ever been stuck in this situation? What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment