Monday, March 28, 2011

Kindle or not to Kindle

Maybe I should have put eBook or not to eBook at the top, since there are different ones? Either way, I'm partial to the Kindle, because that's the one I own.

I have been pondering this question for a while now after seeing several tweets on Twitter about eBooks vs print books. I've heard that eBooks are threatening to do away with print books, yet I don't see that happening quite so quickly. Yes, in the future I do believe that most books will be electronic, but I don't see that happening for a while. Why not?

Well, first off even though I do own a Kindle and love to download book after book after book to it I also still love to read print books. Books I really, really, really like I have in both print and eBook. Second, I my mom and I still get print books and share them. It's fun to talk about the after we have both read them. Third, I can't get eBooks from my library or my daughter's book fair's at school. Yes, this last book fair I bought a book for myself, not her. In my defense, she didn't want one and I did. Turns out after reading the blurb on the back of the book I bought she is now interested in possibly reading it. One point for Mom! Forth, nothing beats being able to turn the pages of a good book. I like to flip forward to see how many pages are left in a chapter.

Electronic books are so much more convenient, though. That they are. I have a toddler who enjoys ripping paper, pages from books to be exact. He thinks this is great fun, hence why eBooks on my Kindle are better for me. He can't rip any pages and I can easily turn it off so he can't hurt the writing. I still have to keep it out of his reach, but he grows bored of looking at it quickly. It's not as much fun. I also have the advantage when reading a book on my Kindle of not waking him up if he happens to fall asleep next to me. When he was an infant I found it extremely difficult to read a paper book and nurse him at the same time. However, using my Kindle made that much easier.

In the end, I like both print and electronic books. They both have their ups and downs.

Your Turn--> Which do you prefer?

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same--I still read both, I still like both. New releases I get on my Kindle, as they're cheaper and I've never liked reading hardcovers. I love traveling with the Kindle, but I dislike not being able to turn to a certain page right away. Give and take with everything, but I definitely am glad I have the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I really like paper books, but there are so many raves about e-books that I'm considering buying one. It's cheaper, easier, but...not paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a published author, my focus was always on the printed book instead of the eBook. Obviously the greatest satisfaction for an author is to hold one's own book in their hand. However I have evolved in my opinion (because I am keen to sell my book) and I since embraced the eBook both as a consumer and an author.

    I think printed books will continue although I think we will see a drop off in paperback novels. Coffee table books and hard covers will continue to sell but I really do think that over time, the migration towards digital will gather pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for commenting. I really do think I'm the type that likes them both. I can't give up one or the other, but I do see a decline in the future of printed books.

    Dean, I look forward to possibly holding my own printed book in my hands sometime in the future. That is something that ebooks can't give, but I'm still not opposed to them.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete