Monday, March 21, 2011

Why we write ...

I got thinking about this over the weekend. Why on Earth do I want to be a writer? I'm still not sure I can fully explain the need I have to write and get my stories out there. But, here's my go at it.

1) I love to write - Well, that's pretty much a given that I love to write. I see it mentioned here and there that writing is a job and that you need to tackle it like any other profession. I've seen other writers suggesting that you write for the market if you want to get published, not yourself. Okay, so that's where I draw the line. My writing isn't written solely to be published, I write for me, and if that just so happens to be something an agent and publisher like, then so be it. If not, then I had a blast writing it. Maybe one day I will write something that is amazing and will become a best seller, but that would only be icing on the cake.

2) I love to get lost in the story - I like to create worlds and characters. I've been a day dreamer my whole life and I like the idea that I can possibly get paid to day dream. It's fun. When I read I find that I get lost in the stories, characters, their lives and worlds surround me and make me feel good. For me it's like watching television. My husband loves to watch TV, I love to read. And hey most of the good movies are adaptations from books.

3) I love the idea of creating something that no one else has or can - My characters, their journeys, their worlds, are all a figment of my imagination. They were all dreamed up by me and that's something that is uniquely mine alone. I have the satisfaction of knowing that I did something great uniquely me.

4) Why not? I see other writers mentioning that people around them have said "I'd love to write a novel, but ..." and they usually insert something that demeans or insults writers everywhere at the end. I've decided that I don't want to be one of those people. I want to write a story and be able to say that I did it. I wrote a novel. I gave characters life, a world to live in, and a place to be. I see it in the eyes of some people I talk to when I mention that I'm writing a novel. Their voices have that tinge of doubt, their eyes betray what they are really thinking. They don't believe anything will ever come of it. That's fine. They don't have to believe in my writing. I just think to myself, "At least I stopped saying maybe someday and I actually did it."

So, now it's your turn: Why do you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment