Monday, April 18, 2011

The Beans Have Been Spilled

Yup, it's out. People know what I'm up to. My book is no longer my dirty little secret.

When I first started writing I decided to keep it to myself and a select few family members. That was then, this is now. It seems I slipped first, with a couple of other family members I hadn't intended on telling until I was sure I was going somewhere with this venture. It happened and now it's out of the bag. My slipping up so much allowed my hubby to slip up. Now everyone seems to know what's going on. Only thing is, they all want to read it. That's where the new problem pops up. They are all readers, but they all read different types of work and are strongly opinionated. I'm not sure I really want all that feedback before I go to the agents. I might end up giving up before I even have an agent read my query if I allow everyone to read it first.

So, what am I to do? Nothing. I figure that if I just continue with what I'm doing and keep telling everyone it's not entirely finished they won't have to be upset that I haven't given it to them to read. Eventually, though, I will probably let them read it, once I've had agent responses, or silence from agents.

So why would I not want to let everyone in on my little writing secret? Well, that's an easy one. Times are hard on us right now. We don't have a lot of money and I do have a degree in education. The problem is that there are not many teaching spots available right now in the region of New Jersey where I live. Don't get me wrong there are other areas where there are teaching positions a plenty, but we would have to move, and that is not going to happen. So, while I'm home with my son and driving my daughter to and from softball functions I am writing.

At first I didn't want to deal with the opinions of others, telling me what I should be doing. This isn't their story, it's not their lives, it's not their business. So you can see why I didn't want some of them to know. Now that the cat's out of the bag I'm finding it isn't so bad after all. Although, I'm still bracing for the onslaught that I"m sure will come eventually when they think I should have found an agent and publisher by now. They all think they know what is best for everyone else.

I wanted, and have, surrounded myself with people who support my writing. That's the way I intended to keep it. Now, I'm learning to talk about it with people who are less enthusiastic about my endeavors. I'm looking at it as a learning experience - How to Handle the Nay Sayers!

Your Turn -> Do you have anyone that you are reluctant to tell about your writing or are you okay with everyone knowing what you are doing? Tell me your story.

2 comments:

  1. From one aspiring writer to another, I'm with you all the way. At first my sister was the only one who knew, then my BFF, and now finally everyone who reads my blog, Facebook, or Twitter page! The support was better than I could've hoped for.
    Ps. Love your name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you Heather, I love your name as well. :-) It's funny how we only let a few certain people in and then it just kind of flows out from there. I'm just glad that it has worked out so well and not as bad as I thought it would. I'm glad it did the same for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete