Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Goodreads

Writer Website Wednesday #3


What I like: 
I love this site. No it's not entirely for writers alone, it's geared more for readers. I struggled to keep up with a list of what books I had read and wanted to read before I came across Goodreads. It was love at first sight for me. A place where I could not only keep track of books I have read, want to read, but I can also make friends and see what they are reading and what they think of the books. It's wonderful.

As a writer it is important to continue to read. I think it helps focus your writing better and gives you ideas on what you need to fix with your own writing. Even for writers it's a great site. Author's can have their own author page and they can keep their readers informed on what they are currently working on, as well as link their blogs to the site. It's great.

Another feature I love is the contest feature. You can sign up to win books and get them before they are released. I've received one book thus far by this method. I will go and check out what new contests are available from time to time and sign up for the ones I want to read or maybe sound good, but I'm not sure I'd buy it, but I would read.

What I don't like: 
Technically you are not supposed to friend people on Goodreads that you don't already know. However, I've done just that. In most cases it has worked out just fine. In others, not so much. I accepted the friend request of a self-published author that had started following me on Twitter. I didn't think much of it at the time, since I find most of my Goodreads friends from Twitter anyhow. But, in this case it was a bad idea. The author in question began harrassing me to read his/her novel and to do it by a certain date. When invited to a reading event for the book, I declined. It was not a good time for me, and didn't think it fair to waste the author's time on it at the time. He/she promptly re-invited me. I declined again. I was re-re-invited. I hit the ignore button and was re-re-re-invited. All of this within a two day time frame. I didn't click anything on the page until the event had past that time. After a month he/she began commenting on the book, which was in my to-read-pile at the time. He/she was borderline begging me to read it ASAP. At that point I deleted the book from my to-read-pile, unfriended the author, and unfollowed on Twitter.

The short of it, I think Goodreads is an easy place for some authors to shove their books in people's faces. I think Goodreads needs to find a way to better control their members. I'd like to have flagged this author, but could not figure out how exactly to do so. No fret, I've been bully free for several months now and still visit the site almost daily.

Recommendation: 
I recommend this book to anyone who loves to read or write. It's a great site, despite the occasional crazy person. But, then again, no site is free of crazy people.

Your Turn -> What do you like most/least about Goodreads.com?

No comments:

Post a Comment