Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Writer's Cafe



Writer Website Wednesday #5


What I like: 

Okay, so I had heard that I really needed to check out this site from several writer sources. So, of course, I did. I like the idea of building your own profile and being able to share your work with others. You can add your writing, manage it, and then share it with friends. There are contests you can enter that have prizes from monetary to bragging rights. And there are courses you can take. You can find me and a couple of my short stories there if you'd like to venture that way. That said, see below. 


What I don't like: 

I had little success with sharing my work, everyone is more interested in getting feedback on theirs to give me feedback. Such is the game of critiquing. The more I started poking around at the members the more I realized it has become a mostly poetry inclined community. Don't get me wrong, I found plenty of short stories, novels, etc. But, the majority of writers post poetry. Likewise, I started noticing a trend in age - teenagers. It seems teenagers are very interested in this site. That's fine, that's my target reading area. But, they don't seem to see me or my stories. Fine.

Let's tackle the courses area. I like learning more about writing, especially if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But, truth be told I want to take a course where the person teaching it is well versed in writing. The site would allow me to create my own course and teach people. Anyone could teach a course. I don't consider myself unable to teach a course, but still I don't think that I am qualified to teach one. I mean, I'm still an unpublished aspiring writer. There is still a ton for me to learn about. I'll be honest I haven't tried to take any of the courses. If you have please let me know how it went. I'm curious.

Your Turn -> What do you like about Writerscafe.org?

No comments:

Post a Comment