Friday, July 15, 2011

Character Interrogation vs. The Sequel

Going with the theme of Monday's post about character interrogations versus my outline I decided to look at what these character interrogations have meant for my sequel. I had been fighting for some time to figure out what was going to happen in the second book. I knew what needed to happen, but the how was escaping me. It wasn't until I sat down and started looking at other minor characters in a different light that I realized there is a group of characters I barely even deal with in the first book that can become a huge integral force in the sequel.

Of course, I can't just suddenly have them helping out in the second book, out of the blue. So, as a result I have had to fix these characters in the outline of my original manuscript. They are going to have a bigger part in that story as to help push the second story along. That way my readers aren't blindsided by these new people. They don't suddenly spring up out of no where.

Then again, they could, but I don't want them to. Especially since most of their work is done "off set" in the second story.

It's complicated.

Your Turn -> Have you ever realized that you needed to tweak the first story to help propel the second?

No comments:

Post a Comment