Friday, July 1, 2011

First Drafts

First drafts are always a lot of fun to write. I love the feeling of exploring the characters and their world. I revel in getting to know my characters better. Finishing a first draft is always something to celebrate.

That said I have taken a huge project on. You see for some time now I've been hard at work on Midnight Raynne and editing it. I have even written the sequel, Spring Raynne. Yet for some time now I haven't been able to get a few other stories out of my head. I finally got my mind around two stories that have been driving me mad for some time now. I feel that I really need to get them written. The urge to write their first drafts is nearly driving me mad at the moment.

If you follow me on Twitter you have surely seen me tweeting that I am hard at work on the rough draft of a WIP. Just which one is hard to tell since I have several.

Augusta -> I love this Augusta character and she's managed to change a lot over the past year that I've been thinking of her. Her world, family, and path have changed many times, but she is still there and ever present in my mind. I finally sat down and worked on her Beat Sheet. After finishing I was ridiculously excited. I wanted to start right away, but I was still in the throws of writing the rough draft of Spring Raynne.

Barely There -> I started Phoebe's story in October, then shelved it for NaNoWriMo. In February I picked it back up only to shelve it again for Midnight Raynne. This summer I will be in Texas and since this story takes place in San Angelo, Texas I am planning to take a quick trip the 3-1/2 hours there from Austin. I honestly can't wait. I'm sure to be blogging about this trip in the near future. I am planning to pick back up on this rough draft and have it finished by September.

Chloe -> She's a lot like Raynne in that she popped into my head and I can't get her to leave me alone. She's very persistent. I still have to get my hands around this story. I don't have a story line yet at all. I don't have her world or other characters figured out at all. All I know so far is the very first chapter of her story, what Chloe is like herself, the fact that she lives in Austin, Texas, and a little about another character, Dade. Other than that I don't know much. I'm planning to run all over Austin looking for clues about Chloe and her story while there this summer.

So as you can see I have a lot of rough drafts to be completed.


Your Turn -> Do you focus on one story from start to finish at a time? Or, do you move between projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment