Monday, August 15, 2011

Are you copyrited?

Going into the querying process my big question is do I need to have my work copyrighted before I send it in to an agent?

After further research I came to the conclusion that, No, I do not need to have my work copyrighted.

Why?

Well that's easy. According to the US Copyright Office a manuscript is already protected by copyright the second it is created. That means that if anyone steals your manuscript, they lose.

Well, okay, so it's not that simple. You have to register your work to bring a lawsuit. So, does that mean I need to copyright it now? No, it doesn't. According to the US Copyright Office it is possible to do it after an infringement is made. However, if you register your copyright with their office before the infringement is made you are then entitled to more in the way of compensation, ie: lawyer fees.

So, what do I recommend?

I recommend you click on the link, here, and surf the site for more information. Empower yourself to find the answers you need.

Your Turn -> What are your thoughts on copyrights?

No comments:

Post a Comment