Friday, August 19, 2011

Foil in Writing

A while back I came across a blog post by another writer talking about foil in writing. I stopped reading and stared at the term. Now, like some writers I do not have a degree in writing. Nor have I taken any creative writing classes. Therefore, this term was completely foreign to me. I had no idea what on earth she was talking about. So, I did a web search.

I really didn't find much. One Yahoo! Answers page, a ChaCha Q&A, and a bunch of other strange links. I decided that these two sites gave me enough of an answer to go off of.

So what is a foil in writing? Basically it's a character that brings out the main characters qualities through contrast.

For example: In the Lethal Weapon movies Mel Gibson's and Danny clover's characters are foils. Glover's family guy cop who plays by the rules brings out the wild cop qualities of Gibson's character.

Um, yeah. I was a bit nervous about this at first. My first reaction was that I don't have a foil in Midnight Raynne. Then I realized that I really do. I created a foil through my different characters. Raynne's sidekick, Maia, and her enemy, Jen, create that foil. And I did this without even realizing I was doing it. It just happened. Really, I think, I created a triangle sort of foil with all three of these characters being opposite of each other.

Your Turn -> Have you ever heard of this term, foil in writing? Have you used a foil in your writing?

P.S.: Unfortunately this was back before my computer crashed last November. So the link I had saved in my bookmarks is gone. As a result I cannot remember whose blog I was reading to give credit. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment