Wednesday, August 17, 2011

US Copyright Office Website



Writer Website Wednesday # 


Okay, I figured that since I did Monday's post on the idea of copyrighting I would do today's website post on the US Copyright Office.

What I like ->

I like that the site is easy to navigate and that it's not written in largely legal terms. It's nice to read important legal information in plain English. I like that it mentions manuscripts point blank in several areas, since that is what I am the most interested in. I like that it has a section of FAQ's that are useful and very helpful. I like the "Copyright Basics" link on their homepage. If you haven't already I suggest you click it and print out a copy for yourself. It's not that long and is good information that every writer really should read through. And, best of all, it's in common plain English - not legal jargon.

What I don't like -> 

I don't like that I was unable to find a link mentioning what happens if you register a manuscript with them for copyright, like a manuscript, then make changes and want to re-register it with them. My big question is if that is considered to be infringing on your own copyright. I guess I'll have to look into that a little more. It's worth understanding before jumping the gun and registering, then not being able to change your own document.

Your Turn -> What are your thoughts on the US Copyright Office Website?

No comments:

Post a Comment