Friday, September 30, 2011

Banned Book Week 2011 - Part 3

Part 3 - The Interview!

Since my daughter just read Crank, which is number 4 on the 2010 top 10 Banned Book List I thought I'd get her take on banned books and Crank. I'd, of course, like to thank my dear daughter who graciously agreed (with eye rolling and sighing involved) to do this interview. She was, however, more excited to answer my questions when it came down to it. Because I wasn't feeling well I typed out the questions and she wrote her answers in for me. So, all of the ...'s and !!!!'s are all hers. I thought they were funny and left them in. Enjoy! 

Me: What are your thoughts on banning books?

Em: "I don't think it's all that smart. If someone does not like a book then they shouldn't read it. Some of these books help teens in a way."

Me: What are your thoughts on Crank by Ellen Hopkins? 


Em: "Um ... Well ... I really like it. My friend does, too. It tells kids and teens that you shouldn't do any drugs. And the fact it is based on the author's own daughter's addiction is more of a ... Don't do it because this is all real stuff going on here."

Me: Did you like the book?


Em: "I absolutely love it!!!"

Me: What did you like the most about the book?


Em: "What I like most about the book is that it [doesn't take long] to read it. Besides that it has a really good message to teens and young adults."

Me: What did you like the least about the book?


Em: "I don't think that if I sat here for three days I could think of one possible thing I don't like."

Me: What did you learn from reading Crank

Em: "I learned that crack is not healthy at all. (I already knew everything.)"

Me: Gotta love D.A.R.E.! Since you've read about a teen hooked on drugs do you feel more or less likely to give into peer pressure and try drugs?

Em: "Um ... I will never ever ever give into peer pressure and try drugs. Not to mention I've seen real lungs from someone who smoked and did drugs. It was horrifying."

Me: Again, great D.A.R.E. program to the rescue! Would you recommend this book to your friends? Why?


Em: "I would without a doubt recommend this book to friends. It has a positive message to not do drugs and a negative message about doing drugs."
 
Me: Are you surprised by Crank being on the banned book list? Why?

Em: "I am, but I'm not. I'm not because a lot of people would not like a book about crack. I am because a lot of people probably haven't even read it and /or don't understand the message."

Me: I gave you a list of the top 10 books challenged in 2010. Are there other books on the list you would like to read?

Em: "Yes ... I think ... I want to read the children's book about 2 male penguins raising a child."

Me: Were you surprised by any of the books on the list?

Em: "I was surprised at almost all the books."

Me: Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about banned books?

Em: "A lot of books deserve to get read, but a lot of people just see titles and want to get them banned. I'm kind of like, 'Uh ... Hello ... You haven't even read it'

So, there you have it. A teens take on Crank and the idea of Banned Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment