Monday, October 10, 2011

Class Clown

Growing up I was never the funny one at school. I never had a clever comeback, at all. In fact it was usually hours later that I'd think "Oh, shoot! I should have said ...." Yeah, I don't consider myself to be a super funny person. I'm still not that witty and I still think about what I should have said hours later. It didn't get better with age.

That said I love to read books where the author has sprinkled in funny incidents. I find that not all books have this, only a few can truly make me laugh in the midst of a mystery or a drama.

I want to be like them! I want to add in that comedic flare occasionally. It's not fair that I'm not as funny.

Wait, I can come back and add in the snappy comebacks and goofy incidents. I'm a writer I can do that sort of thing in my edits.

So, for my current WIP that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to sprinkle in scenes that are a little more fun than would otherwise be. Why? I think it fits in this story. I think readers will enjoy it. And, most of all, I'm enjoying the comedic outbursts myself. I think my main character can handle these situations well. At least I hope she can.

Of course, we'll have to see if my critique group thinks it works or not, but I think it does.

Your Turn -> Do you have a similar problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment