Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Obsessing Over 1st Drafts

I'm currently working on the first draft of a manuscript that I have been working on for the past year off and on. I started it last October and dropped it for NaNoWriMo. I just realized I only have 19 days to finish this first draft, so I can start on my NaNoWriMo manuscript. The pressure is on.

Pressure isn't exactly helping. On Monday I wrote chapter 14. It wasn't setting right with me. So after some thought I decided I needed to push what I had written back, further off in the novel. I still liked what I had written, but the timing of it was off. So, Tuesday I wrote a new chapter 14. I loved it! Then after a few hours I started questioning that chapter as well. I've ultimately decided that it needs to be pushed to another point in the novel as well.

Or does it?

This morning while getting my coffee ready I pondered what would happen if I changed a couple little aspects of it and then left it where it is. Move on to the next chapter. I mean, this is the first draft. I still have time to mess with it and move things around. I shouldn't be obsessing over it now. I need to write it, get it out of my head and onto the paper, and then shelve it so I can come back to it in January. November is for NaNoWriMo and December may just as well be a bust as far as writing goes for me. I'm thinking I might devote December to writing short stories instead of anything major.

Your Turn -> Do you find yourself obsessing over first drafts when you know you can come back and fix it later?

No comments:

Post a Comment