Monday, October 3, 2011

Watching From the Sidelines and Still Ecstatic

I'm still getting used to life on the Jersey Shore. Yes, I've been here eight years, but still I'm a Texan at heart and I miss my Austin. So, I live two-hours away from New York City. Great! Not really, I don't go there. Too busy and crazy for me. Getting to the Big Apple is not as easy as it sounds. I'm terrified of driving there. That means that I have to take the train into the city. This is all a turn off for me. That means that Philadelphia is my next choice for city life. That's an hour-and-a-half from my house. Another hike, but I will drive there.

So what does all of this have to do with me and writing?

Author signings.

I have my favorite authors that I just love and want to go see. Unfortunately for me the Jersey Shore just isn't the big draw for author signings that I'd like it to be. Instead they all go to either NYC or Philly. This means I have to make a trek. Not bad, except that I have a toddler. This adds a whole new level of difficulty. My toddler is a mommy's boy all the way around. I can barely leave him alone with my husband and daughter to meet with my critique group once a month. He gets rotten when he doesn't have his mommy around.

Therefore, I have not been to any author signings. Instead I send my parents in Austin. Yup, my amazingly wonderful awesome parents go to book festivals in Austin, because authors are always in Austin, for me.

This past weekend one of my favorite authors was in Austin at the Austin Teen Book Festival, Alyson Noel. She writes the Immortals Series. Of which I have all of the first five books on my Kindle. I still need the sixth and final book of the series. My parents stood in a ridiculously long line to reserve the book, and some for my daughter by Heather Brewer. Then they had to stand in the "buy the books" line. Then there were the actual "author signing" lines. This is where they split. My Mom stood in line to get books signed by Heather Brewer for my daughter. My Dad got in Alyson Noel's line for my book. They were in line for an hour-and-a-half, the time it would have taken me to drive to Philly from the Jersey Shore.

Not only did Alyson Noel sign a book for me it was seriously personalized. Not only was Saturday the Austin Teen Book Festival, but it was also my birthday. My Dad sent me the following picture which made me giddy with joy.




I wish I could have been there myself. Unfortunately not many authors I like seem to come my way. So, until authors decide to come to the Jersey Shore I will have to make do. I've already enlisted my parents to go to the Texas Book Festival in three weeks to get Beautiful Chaos signed by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. That's for another post, though.

Your Turn -> Have you met your favorite author? Been to any signings? Share your experience with me.

2 comments:

  1. No, I haven't met my favorite author ... or any authors yet, except for Kasie West who is a friend and soon-to-be star YA author. But I did want to say congratulations on getting this birthday present and that I think you have great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Linda. I was so excited that my parents were able to go and did. Then when my dad sent me the picture of what Alyson Noel wrote I was even more ecstatic. I was only expecting her signature. Such a great present indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete