Monday, November 7, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Progress Report

As you may know this is my second year participating in NaNoWriMo. Last year I decided to join in on the fun almost last minute, on October 30th. This year I started planning in January and I have already seen a huge difference. So what gives?

Good Planning is what has given me a leg up this year. One week in and this morning I logged in my word count, 19,983. A whole 17 words shy of 20,000. I wasn't anywhere near that number last year at this time. I find that since I know exactly where my characters are going it's been a lot easier to write the story. I am following my outline and getting exactly where I want and need to be.

Growth is the other aspect that I seem to have more of this year than I had last year. I was fairly new last year when I entered NaNo, this year I've got more writing under my belt, I've learned more about better outlining and organizing before I write, and I've got the best critique group ever. The story I'm writing now is one of my favorites so far that I've ever written. It's the second manuscript that I've written with this new outlining format and it's working like a charm so far.

I'm hoping that I can keep up this writing streak that I've gotten myself into. Last year I strived for 2,000 words a day, knowing that I would have a problem keeping up at the end of the month. My son's second birthday is coming up this month as well as Thanksgiving. Those two events usually cause me to lose writing time. Not to mention if I decide to actually brave the crowds and go out on Black Friday. That kills that entire day as far as writing goes. Last year I also finished the manuscript early, but didn't quite hit the word count. I knew I had missed things and needed to add new scenes in, but didn't get it done in time for the word count to be considered for the NaNo site. 

This year I have a great outline and I'm shooting for a higher word count per day, around 2,500-3k a day at least. I'm hoping that if I finish the manuscript ahead of schedule and I'm below the 50k words needed I'll be able to work on adding scenes. So far I have been adding scenes that I hadn't planned on being included already. I don't see any way to add in more scenes, but just in case I would like to have the time to consider it.

Your Turn -> If you are doing NaNoWriMo, have you grown from year to year in your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment