Thursday, February 16, 2012

Expert Advice

So it happened that while I was busy editing I realized something. I have absolutely no idea how a police station works and my characters just waltz right on into one and begin going about their craziness.

This is a problem.

What to do? Call in for a favor. One of my sister-in-laws best friend is a police officer. She and I have known each other a while through my sister-in-law and are friends on Facebook, so I sent her a message the other day. She said she'd love to answer all of my questions. This morning I sent off that email with all of my questions.

If I didn't have that line of help? I have no clue what I would have done. Maybe gone down to the police station and asked someone to help, but I'm sure they would have laughed at me and given me strange looks. After all, I'm not yet published. 

It also gives me someone outside of my family and writing world to thank in the acknowledgements section of the book when it finds the perfect agent and publisher.

Your Turn -> What do you do when you need expert advice on a particular aspect of your manuscript?

No comments:

Post a Comment