Tuesday, February 21, 2012

That Antsy Feeling

Lately I've been antsy about what to work on next. It's kind of thrown my concentration from Barely There, but I'm still plodding through. In fact I hope to be done with my round of edits on Barely There tomorrow. Then I just have to have my wonderful online CP take a look at the chapters. Once she's done that I will make changes accordingly and then be looking for beta readers. I've even enlisted my daughter as a beta reader. She's thrilled now that she has a Kindle and she'll be able to read my manuscript before anyone else on it.

But being so close to the end of this round of edits has made me think about what's next. What do I really want to do next? What needs to be done next? The answers to these two clash drastically, for several reasons.

First, My original plan was to finish edits with Barely There by the end of January and move on to my NaNoWriMo novel from this past year, Masquerade. But, I don't feel quite ready to tackle that edit right at this moment. I know what needs to be done on it, but I just don't feel like it's time for that one.

Second, I've been thinking A LOT about my first manuscript, Stone Magic, the one that I rewrote about three/four times before I finally started from scratch and rewrote it again for NaNoWriMo 2010. I like that version, but something wasn't quite right with it. I shelved it and have been waiting patiently for that light bulb to turn on and know what it needs. The light bulb flickered plenty in 2011, but the light went on a couple weeks ago and I know what needs to be done. It won't be easy and will take time and patience. For this reason I'd like to wait. I want to have a manuscript out in the query process, soon.

Finally, that leaves me with Midnight Raynne. That manuscript is the closest, I feel, to submission. I could be wrong, though. I've only handed the first couple chapters over to my critique group, so they haven't seen much. I've learned a lot about my writing, though, since I last edited it. I know there needs to be some cleaning up on it, majorly. Plot and character wise, I feel fairly confident not too much needs to be done there.

These three other manuscripts have had me completely distracted from finishing those last few chapters on Barely There & are driving me crazy. However, I've come to a decision. I think I'll tackle Midnight Raynne next, then deal with Masquerade, and then finally with Stone Magic. I need to get a book out and into the query process, my overall goal of 2012. Once those four books are in the query process I look forward to writing something fresh and new. I have several ideas bouncing around in my head, a couple I've already written a few first chapters for.

Your Turn -> Do you get antsy at then end of a project? Do you waffle about what you want to work on next?

No comments:

Post a Comment