Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Writing Growth

I did it! I sent off Barely There to two wonderfully amazing writers. It's now in their hands to tell me what I've flubbed up on and what I got right with that manuscript. It's both exhilarating and terrifying at the exact same time. One minute I'm excited to hear what they think, and the next I'm sweating bullets. I don't think I'll be able to function if I keep up these mood swings.

And what better way to ignore the fact that I've got a manuscript out in the world? Work on another one. As I've mentioned before I've decided to go back to Midnight Raynne. I love the story and the world I created with that manuscript. It brings about a whole new round of mood swings, though. Is it the right manuscript to be working on or not? Should I go back to Masquerade and edit it?

Sunday night I pulled Midnight Raynne off the shelf and started reading it. Originally I was going to read it all the way through and then go back to edit. I changed my mind, however, after reading that first chapter. I've already made three passes at this manuscript. In the first pass I edited for plot, the second was for character, and I'm still not sure what I did in that third pass anymore. I feel confident plot and character wise with this manuscript. Which made me decide to go through it chapter by chapter and work on the writing.

I've come a long way in my writing alone, not including the plot or character issues, but the words and voice I use on the page. By Monday afternoon the first chapter was marked up like a bad essay. Not because the plot or characters needed help, but because my writing was less than acceptable. I realize I've come a long way in how I structure my sentences, words I use, and that thing agents always talk about - voice. In my slashed up pages I can already see it shining through.

For the first time, I think I have a true understanding of what agents are talking about. It was this realization that finally reassured me I am on the right track with this manuscript. I want work out all of the writing issues, tighten the story up, and polish it off by May. This seems a little much since I started editing Barely There in December. But, I had plot issues all over the place to deal with on that one. With this one, I've already dealt with those issues.

So, I'm holding myself accountable. I'd like to have Midnight Raynne ready for beta reading by May 1st. Now, I better get going so I can reach that goal.

Your Turn -> Have you ever gone back to an old manuscript and noticed how far you've come with your writing?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your MS off! Its takes a lot of work to get them that far. I've noticed that my plot building has improved over the years - and there's more voice now. But I hate to say too much because in another five years, I'll probably look back and think 'You wrote THAT and sent it off to agents????'

    Good luck. Its always fun to see what the CPs and Betas have to say about things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll always be that way. I don't think I'll ever stop growing with my writing. At least I hope I don't. It's definitely fun to read something I've written in the past and to see how much my writing as grown in the meantime.

      I love having CPs and Betas, they're the best! Seeing what they think about my work is a great way to learn and grow. :-)

      Delete