Thursday, May 10, 2012

Dabbling with Middle Grade

Last summer I started writing a manuscript that I never really could get into. The character and story just didn't sync. I think I've found the problem. While I was doing chores around the house I got to thinking about what I wanted to work on when I'm finished with Midnight Raynne. This of course led me to start thinking over two manuscripts that are yet unfinished. One is in the pre-write stage and the other is halfway written as a young adult, but I don't like the last one. I'm not happy with the main character and her voice at all.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized it isn't young adult. The main character should be much younger. The obvious conclusion was that I need to reorganize this manuscript and rewrite it as a middle grade novel. So, as soon as I get Midnight Raynne off to my lovely beta readers I will be busy working on my first middle grade story so far.

How will I prepare? I will be reading two entire middle grade series! I have been collecting the Riley Bloom Series by Alyson Noel since it started. Now that the final book, Whisper, has been released I can finally start reading the final three books in the four book series. I'm also excited to start reading the Sleuth or Dare Series by Kim Harrington. Book one came out earlier this month and the next two books are scheduled to be out June 1st and July 1st of this year. It's been a while since I read a bunch of middle grade books and it's excited to get into that frame of mind again.

Your Turn -> Do you have any stories you're not sure should be young adult after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment