Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Five Exercises To Help A Stalled Plot

Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
This past month at my critique group meeting the discussion turned to plot and what to do when we're stuck. Of course it's been on my mind ever since.

I poked around on the internet for a while looking for help and really didn't find much. Through a blog post on websites to help plots I found Plinky, which is more like Formspring than an actual plotting help. Most of the sites that are supposed to be for writer's block and plot ideas won't actually help. At least I didn't find them too helpful, especially with MG and YA writing.

I did find a great post over on The Other Side of The Story blog. It looked interesting, but still it wasn't what I was looking for. I also checked out another blog I really enjoy, The Plot Whisperer, but decided I didn't want to get as detailed. So, I decided to brainstorm myself and I came up with four things to try in addition to the one mentioned at our meeting.  

1 - Put all of your main characters in an elevator together! (Kimberly Ann Miller gave us this one at the meeting.)

2 - Write from a different characters point of view. 

3 - Change tense (past/present) -or- change point of view (1st/3rd). Your characters might tell you something different through this exercise.

4 - Put your characters in a tense situation. Make them really think their way out of a disaster and see how they really act and what they are made of.

5 - Reverse character roles. See how they react when the shoes on the other foot.

Your Turn -> What ways to you help move along a stalled plot?

No comments:

Post a Comment