Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lauren Kate - Signing

So, I have a bunch of books signed by the authors. Thing is my parents are the ones who have gone and stood in the lines and gotten the books signed for me. I don't exactly have a lot of options living on the Jersey Shore. Most signings take place in Philadelphia or New York City. It's an hour and a half drive from my house to Philly. Chances that I'll make a signing, with kids, is slim. I don't do New York City, the place makes me nervous that I'll get lost, and end up in a very bad area. Seriously, I have issues with going there alone.

Austin, however, is a hot spot for author signings. A couple days after being in town I decided to take a quick look at the Book People website to see who was going to be there while I was in town. To my astonishment Lauren Kate was going to be there in a few days. As soon as my parents had returned I was asking them to watch my toddler while my 13 year old and I went to her signing.

The day before the signing I made a quick trip to Book People to purchase Rapture (for me) and Fallen (for my daughter). I'm in love with the indie-book store! It's full of awesomness. If you live in Austin, or are ever there, you MUST stop by there. Check their schedule. They have TONS of authors signing there all the time.

Here's my recap of the awesome event!

My daughter with Fallen before the crowd arrived.
We arrived just over an hour early and didn't go into the book store until six. There were already two girls waiting and I'm sure we looked silly sitting there waiting, but we didn't care. People trickled in, but didn't start really showing up until about six-thirty. 

When Lauren Kate arrived there all the seats were filled and there were several people standing around the periphery. I never was good at public speaking, but I guess if I ever plan on becoming a published author and doing book signings I better get over it.

Lauren Kate dove right into a reading from Rapture when she took the podium. She read so beautifully and I found myself amazed at her reading voice. Then again, she knows the characters better than anyone else. After the reading she talked a little about the series and what it was like to write the final book in the series. This is something I've been pondering for a while now myself with regards to the series I've been working on for some time now.

I felt put at east when she said that she found bits and pieces of how to close out the series already in her first three novels. I've worried that because I didn't plan out my own series right from the beginning I will not be able to do justice to the final book. It doesn't feel so daunting anymore.

Then she opened the floor to questions. Unfortunately I am such an awkward fool I couldn't think of anything that would sound partially good or really help me. I have yet to read Rapture, so I couldn't ask any questions pertaining to the book itself. It's as if my brain froze and I couldn't think of a single good question. Anyways, I've added a few pictures at the bottom of the post from the signing.

My daughter and Lauren Kate.
Another awesome signed book to add to my collection. :-) 

Me with Lauren Kate.

Your Turn -> Who was your first author signing?

4 comments:

  1. That's a great story! I'm sorry to say I've never been to an author signing. :( I live about an hour and a half outside of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and that's not exactly a hot spot for author signings, either. I keep watching and hoping to catch one, someday! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and boy do I know the feeling of not being able to go to author signings. I wish more came to the Jersey Shore, but they don't. Good luck getting to an author signing! :-)

      Delete
  2. How fun! I only recently went to my first book signing which was a mass book signing at the LDStorymakers conference I attended in Provo, Utah. I think I had a dozen books signed that day. It was so fun to meet so many authors and get the chance to chat with them for a few minutes each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous! lol ;-) I plan on going to another signing at the end of July to see Beth Revis, P.J. Hoover, and K.A. Holt. I think it will be fun to go see multiple authors at once. (My grandparents used to live in Orem. I love that area.)

      Delete