Thursday, October 4, 2012

BBW - Interview With a Teen - ttyl

Emma is my 14 year old daughter who just started high school this year. For Banned Books Week 2012 she decided to read ttyl by Lauren Myracle. The series was challenged in 2011 because of offensive language, religious viewpoint, being sexually explicit, and unsuited to age group. Here is what she has to say.

Don't forget to enter to win The Hunger Games

Me: You mentioned in your interview last year about Crank that you do not agree with banning books. Do you still feel the same this year after reading ttyl?

Emma: Yes I do

Me: You are currently reading ttyl by Lauren Myracle. Now I know that you haven't had much time to read it with school, but at this point what are your overall thoughts on what you have read?

Emma: I love it. It is so funny.

Me: Do you like the book?

Emma: Yes
Me: What do you like the most about the book so far?
 
Emma: It is just overall funny. I like how it is color coded by character and it's really easy to read because its in text form.
Me: What do you like the least about the book so far?

Emma: Nothing
Me: What did you learn from reading ttyl? 

Emma: To not tell lies to good friends and mess with their heads because it can ruin your friendship.
Me: Did you find any of the language to be worse than what you already hear at school?

Emma: No. If they ban books because of the language I think that's just stupid because you hear worse stuff at school everyday.

Me: What about the religious aspect, did any of it bother you?

Emma: It hasn't bothered me.

Me: I know you had a rather interesting sex education course in school a couple years back (I saw the homework!). Did you find any of the book out of line with what you learned or have heard about in school?

Emma: No I didn't at all. It was a lot better than my sex ed class. haha lol

Me: That said, how about the age level, was it suited to your age or not? I know after reading portions of it myself, if you were much younger I would have asked you to wait on reading it.

Emma: I would not let people read it if they haven't had sex ed though.

Me: Are you interested in reading the rest of the series?

Emma: Most definitely.

Me: Are you surprised that ttyl is on the banned book list? Why?

Emma: I get why it is. Like I get why its banned, because of the language and barely adult content. It wasn't vivid enough to really be considered adult content but it kind of is.

Me: Would you recommend this book to your friends? Why?

Emma:  Yes I would, because I think it is quite funny. Some might relate to it because it's in text form.

Me: Are there other books on the list of the top 10 books challenged in 2011 you would like to read? Why?

Emma: I want to read The Hunger Games, What My Mother Doesn't Know, and Gossip Girl. Because they seem interesting and I watch the series Gossip Girl.
Me: Were you surprised by any of the books on the list?

Emma: Not really. I get why they are, I just don't like the idea of banned books.

Me: Are there any other thoughts you would like to share about banned books?

Emma: Nope :)

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on ttyl and banned books.

Don't miss this week's other Interview With a Teen posts:
Dawn on The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Tuesday 
Jackie on To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. Great post and great interview for Banned Book Week! My 12-year-old wrote about the Hunger Games on Monday for my blog - I think it's important to hear the mg/teen perspective - they read different things into the books than the parents who want to ban them from school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes parents are so worried about protecting their children that they forget their children can handle more than we tend to give them credit for. Not to mention they see things from an entirely different perspective than we do.

      I'm going to run over and check out your post now! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Very very interesting! Thanks to your daughter for taking the time to give her opinion :D I haven´t read that book yet, but now I´m very intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She thought it sounded interesting at first because it was entirely in text message form. lol She's always texting someone. :-)

      Delete