Thursday, October 11, 2012

Smart Edit

Okay, so I can't remember how I found out about this application, but it has made my writing is so much better. This program is awesome!

Smart Edit is a writer's best friend application. Seriously.

Okay, so what does it do you ask?

Well, first you need to save your chapter or manuscript in rich text format (rtf). Once you have done that it will scan your document for:

  • Cliches 
  • Dialog Tags
  • Repeated Words
  • Repeated Phrases
  • Monitored Words
  • Adverbs

It is excellent for finding those words you don't realize you are using entirely too much and those nasty cliches. It also tells you exactly how many times you have used each of them.

Crazy!

I have used this program a few times and I prefer to use it chapter by chapter. If I search the entire manuscript at one time I'm usually overwhelmed and not sure if the numbers are too high or not. I feel better looking at it in chunks.

Anyways, do yourself, and your manuscript, a favor and run over to download it. Oh, unfortunately it only runs on Windows, so if you have a Mac I'm sorry!!!

The best part it's FREE! That's right, completely free of charge. There is absolutely nothing holding you back from giving it a try.

Have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment