Thursday, November 1, 2012

October Progress Report

This month was jam packed! It started off with a bang thanks to Banned Books Week. Then I added to it with a workshop. Sprinkle in editing, reading, and house cleaning.

Writing
October was all about editing Barely There. And I mean some serious editing. I found myself editing entire chapters, ones that didn't forward the story. I ended up adding in more romantic tension between Phoebe and Fin. Something I know a few of my critique partners were dying for! To do this I worked on a spreadsheet that I created while editing Midnight Raynne last year. I realized it's the best way for me to edit. It allows me to see the big picture and make sure I stay focused on what each chapter needs to do. (I'll be doing a post on this in November.)

I also took part in The 1st Five Pages Workshop over at Adventures in YA & Children's Publishing blog. I definitely learned a lot and had fun with this workshop. If you get around to it, try it out. And be sure to let me know so I can cheer you on and comment.

Goals For November
I would like to have Barely There ready for another round of beta reading by late November. That would allow me to have it out by the end of December for query. I already have my top five list to send it out to. I'm also already working on my synopsis & query letter.

Read:
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire  (Soooo Good!)
Hana by Lauren Oliver
Foretold (Anthology) edited by Carrie Ryan
The Goddess Legacy by Aimee Carter 
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (If you grew up loving fairy tales then you must read this one.)
How to Survive Ancient Spells and Crazy Kings by Laura Pauling (Loved it! - Stay tuned for more on this one in December right here on my blog.) 

Books Purchased:
Endlessly by Kiersten White
The Ultimate Fiction Thesaurus: A Writing Study by Sam Stone
Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi
Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success by K.M. Weiland
Hana by Lauren Oliver
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
On Haunted Ground by Lisa Rogers
Red by Kait Nolan

Your Turn -> Was your October productive?

No comments:

Post a Comment