Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reblog At Your Own Risk

***First let me start by saying that I am not a lawyer and in no way is this post intended to be legal advice. This is only information that I have dug up on the matter and not intended to be used in such a manner.  If you need legal advice on using Tumblr you need to consult with a lawyer.

I love Tumblr. It is another means by which I can get my blog posts out to others. It may also be a trap just as I mentioned in Tuesday's post about Pinterest. However, I had a very difficult time digging up nearly as much information for Tumblr as I did for Pinterest. It seems Pinterest has simply garnered even more hubbub than Tumblr. Although, from my seat, I do not see many differences.

My take - Tumblr is like any other blog, except that you can reblog posts from other users you follow. No, that does not give you the right to upload and share photos you do not have permission to share. Therefore, you should only upload your own photos. I do this regularly through Instagram and when I upload photos of books I am currently reading, my own personal photos.

So, then how legal is the "reblog" aspect?

Well, this is what I found. The LA Times says to "Reblog this at your own risk." It is not the best article, but it definitely notes how risky re-blogging posts is.

Then I found this article by The Wall Street Journal on how to safely use Tumblr. Basically it goes along with all of the copyright laws I mentioned in a post last year with using photos in blogging.

I'm thinking the safe way to use Tumblr is not to reblog at all. That's my take. Also, you may want to take a look at the terms of service before you upload any photos of your own as well.

What are your thoughts on the reblog tool on Tumblr?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about Tumblr - haven't looked into it yet. But I could see the danger in reblogging. There isn't really any difference between that and using someone else's pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I use it mostly as a way to get more traffic to my blog and just to "like" things on other Tumblr sites. I think some people don't think of Tumblr as a blog where they can't post other people's photos. The tricky part of it is that you have no idea if a photographer gave permission for their photo to be used in the first place.

      Delete