Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Google Reader - Pros and Cons

I am a Google Reader fanatic. I love it. I read all blog posts through it. It makes it easy to know what I have or have not read. I can organize the different types of blogs I follow into folders, which significantly makes reading blogs more manageable. The best part is that I can subscribe to blogs that are not on Blogger, like Wordpress blogs. Although, I am pretty sure using the reader is messing with things. Here is why.

I follow blogs, but through the reader. This means that I am not on the follower lists on the actual blogs. I dislike this very much. As a result I have decided to go back through all the blogs I have been following for some time now and "follow" them through Google Friend Connect. Seriously time consuming, but I want other bloggers out there to know that I do follow them, even if I do not comment regularly.

Since I read the posts through the reader I am not sure if it shows on the stats for each blog that I have indeed viewed that particular post. The fact that I have viewed the page through a reader does not necessarily mean I have viewed the actual page. I want my views to count. Yet, the reader is the easiest way for me to keep track of what I have or have not read.

I will continue to use Google Reader, but I also want to make sure that I visit more blogs and leave comments to help out the stats for these fellow bloggers. Of course, that means that I have to actually comment. I am so bad in that department. So I do not begrudge anyone who reads my posts and does not comment. I am so guilty of that myself. lol

How do you read blog posts? What are your thoughts on using readers like Google Reader? 


No comments:

Post a Comment