Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Virtual Bookshelves

I have used Goodreads for a couple years now and really enjoy seeing what my "friends" are reading. It's a great way to learn about new books and share recommendations. That said, when it comes to books written by authors I really like I want to get the word out, to share their books with the rest of the reading community. So, naturally when I see that there are other virtual bookshelves I run right out and check them out. Here are the ones I know about and my experience with them.

Goodreads:
  • Possibly the most user-friendly of the bunch. 
  • Easy to add multiple shelves, add books, and rate them. 
  • Easy to add a review. 
  • Lots of people use the site.
  • Easy to find the books I am looking for. They are almost always listed. 

Library Thing:
  • Not all books I searched for came up.  (Missing some small publishers books. Self-pubbed are there.)
  • Easy to create collections and add books to them. 
  • Easy to rate books. 
  • Missing cover images for several books, including some high profile YA books. 
  • Easy to add review to books. 

Reading Room:
  • Easy to add bookshelves and books. (Missing self-pubbed authors books.)
  • Again, hard to find some titles. 
  • One big plus is if you can't find a title it is very easy to suggest the book and they are very quick to add it. 
  • Yet, at the same time, I found it very difficult to add the book I suggested to my actual "read" shelf. It would only show up on my "currently reading" shelf. 
  • I have no idea how to mark a book on my "currently reading" shelf as "read." I'm completely lost on this function. 
  • Rating system is much better. Sometimes on Goodreads I would like to rate a book with 4-1/2 stars, but you can't. On Reading Room you can! I like this function.

Bookish.com:
  • Once more not all books I have read are listed. (Missing self-pubbed authors books.)
  • Only choice of 2 bookshelves: Read or Want to Read. 
  • When adding a book 3 choices: Want to Read, Not for Me, or buy the book. So how do I add it to my read shelf without buying the book through them? 
  • Easy to rate a book. Even if it's still sitting on your "Want to Read" shelf. 


Have you tried out these other Virtual Bookshelves? What are your thoughts? Which do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment