Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Sort of Break

I'm on a sort of break. It's a break from writing, but not really. Confused?

Let me explain. Since finishing Barely There I have decided not to dive right into my next project. I decided I want to really study up. This next project I'm going to tackle was my NaNo 2011 project. It is still untitled and needs to be rewritten. I've come to the realization that the world in which my characters should reside is not the one I've placed them in as of the rough draft. This will take some major rewriting. Major.

But, before I jump knee deep in those rewrites I thought I would finish reading some important books. Books that will help me bring this new project to the next level. So, for the past week instead of writing or editing I've been reading, highlighting, and taking notes. This may take some time yet to get through. I'm thinking it may be a while before I get to the actual rewriting especially with it being spring (finally), my house needing a major cleaning, and my studying up on writing.

So what am I reading?

Well, yesterday I finished Story by Robert McKee. It's actually for screenwriting, but has a lot of information that is more than relevant to writing. Mostly in the plotting and characterization. Personally I thought this was a great book! If you have the chance to read it, do. It's a large book that seems a bit daunting, but well worth the time and effort to get through it.

Aside from Story I also plan on reading the following books during my writing "break":
Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Mass
Writing Irresistible Kidlit by Mary Kole
Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark
Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel by Hallie Ephron (My NaNo 2013 will be a mystery!)

Do you have any books on writing that you absolutely love?


No comments:

Post a Comment