Thursday, May 16, 2013

Meet Christine Marie!

Today I'd like to welcome one of my amazing critique partners, Christine Marie. Not only is Christine a writer and one of my critique partners, she's also a publicist, and a darn good one, too.

Welcome Christine, it's great to have you here! :-) 



Hi Heather! Thanks for having me on your blog.

What made you want to become a publicist?

Well the idea occurred to me some time ago when I graduated college. I kept on trying to think what I could do with my degree while following my passion for books. At the time, I guess, I wasn’t thinking that I should start my own company so I ventured out into the “send your resume to a bunch of people who won’t respond” world. If it wasn’t for my good friend and wonderful critique partner, Toni De Palma, I would have never taken the leap into starting my own company. She presented the idea and I said yes. The rest is history. =) 

What services do you offer?

I pretty much offer every kind of service an author might need to promote their book. Whether the book hasn’t come out yet or has been out for years, I can come up with a marketing campaign to help spread the word. Some of my services include setting up blog tours (consisting of book reviews, spotlights, author interviews, and character interviews), cover reveals, writing press releases, and distributing promotional items such as bookmarks, pens, etc. I also make it a point to help my client utilize all social media outlets to promote their brand as an author.

Do you think being a writer gives you a different approach to being a publicist for authors?

I really do. As a fellow writer I know how much hard work and dedication goes into writing a book, and as a publicist I know how important it is to promote your work in the right way. I understand the heart of being a writer and that gives me a lot of passion to help authors achieve their goals.

As a writer and a publicist for authors do you think you would be interested in branching out beyond authors, into other areas?

As much as I’d like to think that I could be a publicist like the fancy movie star/party ones you see on HBO, I think my heart belongs with books. Of course I would never rule anything out completely because I have an open mind, but at the end of the day I’m a bookworm.

Yay to bookworks! ;-) I love your logo on your site. Where did the idea for the owl come from and did you design it?

The idea for the logo came about at around 1 o’clock in the morning in the midst of drinking way too much tea with my good friend and graphic designer Kelly McGovern. I have always been a fan of owls because they’re symbolic of a wise and sophisticated type of animal. Then the steampunk/robotic aspect of the owl popped into my brain so I turned to my friend and drew something that a 5 year old would draw. Within minutes she worked her magic and started creating the wonderful logo that you see today.

Okay, you are a writer yourself. Tell us a little about your writing and what your influences are.

I write primarily YA Paranormal and YA Fantasy. There’s something about creating another world that is so incredibly exciting. My influences are J.K. Rowling, George R. R. Martin, Veronica Roth, and Cassandra Clare.

And just because I’m both nosey and a huge book lover, what are you reading right now?

I am currently reading City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. =)
 
I love that series! And I can't wait for the movie! Speaking of reading books, you have another project you recently started regarding books. Can you tell us a little about it?

I actually just recently started a YA book review blog with my friend of ten years Allison Herrighty. We go under the names BatStine and Swarley and review books every Thursday. Feel free to check us out. 

Thank you again, Christine! 

Thanks so much for doing this for me Heather.   

You can learn more about Christine on her website and Facebook, or contact her directly through her email: PublicistChristineMarie@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment