Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rejected

Yup, less than 24 hours after I sent my first batch of five query letters out I received my first rejection. I have to say, it didn't sting nearly as bad as I was expecting. For one, the agent was very nice in her personalized rejection. She simply said it wasn't right for her. I respect that, publishing is a very subjective business. What one person likes, another might not. And that's fine with me. For another thing I set myself up to expect rejections. Come on, even Stephen King was rejected many times.

I was, however, shocked at how fast she responded. I decided she must be a lightning speed agent when it comes to tackling her slush pile. A couple of the agents I queried said their turn around time is six weeks. One agent sent an automated response that she had received the query and if she was interested she would respond. If I don't get a response in six weeks then it's a no. Fine. I know my query letter made it to her inbox, so I won't be worried that it never made it. 

I actually felt validated in a way, too. It was odd. But, while I've been writing and working towards being published, I have never really put myself out there to agents before. This was just another huge step towards becoming a published author that everyone must go through. There was a sort of validation that I didn't get an offer for representation off the first query. Seriously, how many authors have that kind of luck? It has to be less than 1%. Like I mentioned before, Stephen King didn't get it on the first try and look at him now.


Ask me in six months how I feel about the query process. I'm sure I'll have changed my mind and the sting will be more painful. lol

How do you deal with rejections?

4 comments:

  1. I hope you're one of the lucky ones to get a request quickly. Unfortunately, most need to stick away tons (I'm talking hundreds) of rejections. Looks like you're heading into this with a great attitude. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to keep a positive outlook during this stressful time. :-)

      Delete
  2. Best of luck, Heather. I hope your agent search is a short one.

    I'd say my worst "rejection" was absolute silence after a request for the full. Even after I sent a follow-up email three months later, just asking for confirmation that she received the full, still NOTHING. So I hope you don't have that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And wow that stinks! I'm so sorry. Two of the agents I queried have those no-response equals a no policy. So I marked my calendar so I would know to move on as if they sent a rejection. :-)

      Delete