Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Top Twelve Reads of 2013

I love lists. Seriously, it's a problem, I think. Anyways, I put together a bunch of reading lists and thought I'd share them on my blog. Especially since it's the end of the year and things are crazy. Finding the energy to put together a really useful post is hard to come by this time of the year. So, here is the first of three lists. On top of my usual monthly release post.

Why twelve books? I couldn't settle on only ten, like I set out to do. And yes, I lumped books together if they were by the same author and in the same series. lol They are in order of when I read them, because picking a favorite out of this list was even more difficult.

Altered by Jennifer Rush

Why -> Such a great mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat, and drooling over four hot guys. Seriously, if you haven't read this, read it.





Under the Never Sky & Through the Evernight by Veronica Rossi

Why -> OMG, possibly one of the most amazing trilogies I've read yet. I loved the characters and the story so much. Not to mention the story was extremely addictive. I can usually walk away from a book knowing which characters I liked the most, but I liked so many in this. I can't wait for Into the Still Blue.

Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Why -> This was such a great trilogy! I was so torn between Tucker  and Christian. Seriously torn to the point that I wanted to have had alternate endings. Obviously she could only be with one of them, so that left me wondering what if she'd chosen the other. Definitely a must read trilogy.



Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Why -> Such a wonderful book with tons of twists, sadness, and happiness. There's just so much going on in this last book. I can't forget to mention the number of deaths Revis wrote into this one, most characters killed in a book I've read so far. But I think that's part of what made this book so heart pounding. You never knew who was going to die next. And the twist at the end - LOVED it! My favorite YA sci-fi. 

Sever by Lauren DeStefano

Why -> DeStefano has created such a bleak world with characters who far outshine the lives they've been given to live. This one stuck with me for a long time. I did like the ending, but I always kinda wonder what if... as I look back on it. Great read and definitely among my favorite trilogies. And I can't forget to mention the twists, part of what made this such a great read.


Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Why -> This was such a fun book in that we were able to read from both Lena's and Hana's perspectives. Very interesting to see how different they were, but so much alike at the same time. I was torn between Alex and Julian throughout most of the book. The tears were definitely flowing at the end.



Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, & Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Why -> It drove me nuts watching everyone else mention how great these books were as they were published, but I held off. Refused to read any of them until the final book was released. And then I read them straight through. Definitely worth the wait. I didn't have to wait an entire dreaded year to get my hands on the next book. Which if you've ever read any of Clare's books, that what you do, count down the days until the next book in the series. They're that good! I can't wait to read the final Mortal Instruments book this next year. 

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Why -> So freaking creepy, but good. I have to say I never saw that ending coming. But I should have. Then again I've never read The Island of Dr. Moreau. So maybe not. I really thought this one was creepy and had to keep my mind open at times. I wouldn't say it's for everyone, but if you can handle disturbing images, then it might be okay for you. Still this was one of the most intriguing reads I picked up this year.  

If I Should Die by Amy Plum

Why -> Ah, Vincent! I so love reading about Vincent and Kate. They are such a great couple. And that little brat Violette, oh was she a pain in the butt, again. Anyways, I loved the action, the twists, the romance, and the overall ending to such a wonderful trilogy set in Paris. Definitely a great read for everyone.



Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

Why -> I loved the dark Gothic feel of this novel.  Violet was such an interesting character to follow along with. I loved how she was torn about River. And the revelation at the ending was really interesting as well. I definitely can't wait to read the next book, Between the Spark and the Burn.



Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Why -> This was by far the most emotional read I've read in a long time. I was so torn to pieces at the end. I can't believe it's over. And the ending was so bittersweet. I did love reading from both perspectives, Tris's and Four's. I have a very hard time calling him Tobias, he's Four to me, ever since the first book. I can't wait for the movie to come out!


Eternal by Kristi Cook

Why -> I'm convinced I was out to break my heart. First, I read Allegiant which was heartbreaking, and then I read Eternal, nearly back to back. What is it with authors staying true to the story, but destroying me? Ahhhh. Anyways, I really was happy with the ending, even if I had tears streaming down my face (shhhh, don't tell anyone). I was happy for Violet and Aidan in the end. I'm just so sad it's over. It would be interesting to read a spin off series of this one! (Hint, hint. lol)

What books did you love that you read this past year?

No comments:

Post a Comment