Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Emotional Plot

As I mentioned the other week, I've recently finished reading Writing Irresistible KidLit by Mary Kole. And I'm beyond glad that I did. Partly because when it comes to plots, I'm horrible at making those graphs and thinking in terms of the three act structure. For some reason it doesn't compute in my brain. But, Kole suggests in her book to look at it from the emotional perspective of the protagonist.

So for the past few days I've been going through page by page re-reading my manuscript, notating all of the emotional changes my main character has. I'm still struggling on how to graph it properly, but I did notice something while marking up this draft. I'm seeing places where my mc should be feeling something strong, and it's not shown on the page, through the dialog, her thoughts, etc. It just falls flat on the page.

This is something that requires some major work. So, even if I never quite figure out the graphing portion, at least I did realize that I need to work on the emotional side more. I'm thinking I need to do this notation on all of my manuscripts now.

As for the emotional plot that I hope to graph, I'll keep you updated if I ever figure it out. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. At this point her emotions shift regularly. Especially since I'm looking at it paragraph by paragraph. Maybe the key is to look at it overall, scene by scene, not on such a small scale.

What's your take on plot graphs? Do you prefer the three act structure or an emotional plot graph?

No comments:

Post a Comment