Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Emotional Plot (Holes)

As I mentioned a few weeks ago I've been taking a look at the emotional plot of one of my manuscripts. I'm super glad I have done this as I've learned a lot. It took a bit of time to go through the entire manuscript, not to mention taking a long break in the midst for end of the school year chaos. But, I'm finally finished and just about ready to start working on a massive revision. Even though I've already done one massive revision on it. I'm not sure this will be the final massive revision either.

First Lesson:

I'm not showing my protag's emotions in some places well enough. I can see that she barely touches on her feelings in some places. This needs work in my next round of edits.

Second Lesson:

There are holes. And by holes I mean places where bigger, more drastic turns of events could take place, raising the stakes. Sticky notes you are my friend! I have a stack of these noting places where things could be altered to raise stakes or make something more fluid.

Third Lesson:

I'm pretty positive this is going to strengthen my manuscript infinitely, but it won't be the last round of edits before I think about sending it out on submission to agents.


No comments:

Post a Comment