Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Great Coffee Fumble of 2014

The only way I can describe what happened last Friday is just what the title says, The Great Coffee Fumble of 2014. It was awful!

There I was working on edit notes, drinking coffee, and then BOOM! I dropped my coffee carafe and it spilled. Right. On. My. Laptop!

I'm always really careful with my coffee around my computer, but lost it. Quickly, I slammed a paper towel on my keyboard, shut down everything and cleaned the heck out of my keyboard. I left it alone for 24 hours.

Then I tried to turn it back on, checking for damage.

I'm one of the lucky ones. It wasn't a lot of coffee and I cleaned it up really good.

But, that didn't stop the damage. My keyboard was, and I'm quoting the Staples EZ Tech guy here, "Your keyboard is jacked and we can't order a new one through our supplier." So I called Dell and would you believe my Dad bought me the BEST warranty ever when he ordered my computer as a surprise Christmas gift. My laptop is around 3-4 years old, and still under warranty. They sent a tech out and fixed it within 48 hours of calling in the claim.

I'm back in business today!!!!

The worst part of the whole ordeal was that I had not done a back up recently at all. I was freaking out for that first 24 hours while I waited on everything to dry before turning it back on. I don't know what I would have done if the spill was worse and I had lost everything.

So, lessons learned.

1) Back up my computer often!!!!!

2) Be super careful when drinking my much needed coffee near my even more important computer.

I hope you don't ever have this issue. Take it from me, not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment