Thursday, September 11, 2014

Branching Out

Hey, it's been a while since I wrote a blog post that wasn't reading related. I've been so busy lately editing that the blogging has fallen behind. Big time at that. In fact the writing / editing realm of my life has become crazier than ever.

I've been revising a YA manuscript that I wrote during NaNo 2012 and it's been going well. Only one problem. I've been so immersed in that world that I feel kind of like I'm drowning in it. The end is near, but still it's not close enough.

I've found myself really antsy to get this project done. Especially with NaNo coming up and the prospect of several other projects swirling around in my head. But, there's a big difference with these projects.

They are all New Adult.

I recently began reading a bunch of NA books, contemporary at that. Which is odd because I'm usually devouring YA books that are as far from contemporary as they come. Odd, but true. I also wrote a NA manuscript for last year's NaNo. But it was only recently that I discovered I'm not only going about that project wrong, but a couple of my YA ideas that I've been stumped on for a while would be ten times better as NA.

So, I'm branching out and exploring the world of new adult romance. Most of the books I've been reading are contemporary and while part of a series they all seem to be revolving around different protags in each book. So, this is a whole new route for me writing wise. I guess we'll see how it works out. And if I like it as much as I do young adult.

I have one big question for everyone. If I were to write YA and NA, should I have a different name for each to differentiate, or the same one. Paranormal YA author Jennifer L. Armentrout writes as J. Lynn for her NA and paranormal YA author Kim Harrington writes under K.A. Harrington for her contemporary YA. But, Ann Aguirre has the same name for all of her YA, NA, and Adult works.

What is your preference? 
What makes the most sense to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment