Friday, December 26, 2014

My Top "Fifteen" Reads of 2014

Last year I tried for a Top Ten list of my favorite reads in 2013, it turned into a Top Twelve. This year's list is longer. I had to really work to keep it at no more than fifteen. Even then I wound up adding three series. Yes, entire series. I couldn't help myself. And there were a ton more books that I really wanted to add to the list, that probably should have gone on the list as well. I was not about to do a top fifty, though - that would have been most of my reading list this year. Anyway, here's my Top Fifteen Reads of 2014 in alphabetical order of author's last name. I couldn't even bring myself to rank them.

Trial by Fire (Worldwalker #1) by Josephine Angelini
Release Date: September 2, 2014





Why -> I wasn't sure I would like this book right off. But I hung in there after the first couple of chapters and I was greatly rewarded. It had so much that was wonderful - alternate realities and witchcraft mainly. I can't wait for the sequel, Trail of Tears to release in 2015.


Add it on Goodreads


The Coventant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: November 2, 2013 (for Sentinel)




Why -> Ah, I love Jennifer L. Armentrout's work. Like anything and everything she writes. I bought Half-Blood for my Kindle a while ago and just didn't read it until this year. And that was only because she was coming to town for a signing. Since then I've devoured most of everything she's written. I still have some to catch up on. After all these current ARCs I have piled up.


Add them on Goodreads

The Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: August 5, 2014 (for Opposition)



Why -> The answer here is obviously it's JLA. And Daemon = total swoon worthy material. This was the first series of hers I read straight through and still my favorite. Possibly because, well Daemon and hot aliens. If you have not yet read this series I highly suggest you do so, like, yesterday. You won't be sorry.


Add them on Goodreads



City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare
Release Date: may 27, 2014



Why -> I love this series, and I was so upset when I found out how long it was going to be before we got to read the ending. Clare did not disappoint in this final book to the Mortal Instruments Series. I can't wait for her other Shadow Hunter books to come out, starting in 2015, I think. Must read series is you haven't already.


Add it on Goodreads



The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark #1) by Bree Despain
Release Date: March 11, 2014




Why -> Oh my goodness. I really do enjoy all of the Hades stories out there, but this was by far one of my favorite spins on that myth. I thought I liked Despain's first trilogy, The Dark Devine, but found that I like this one much much more. I can't wait to read the next two books in this trilogy.


Add it on Goodreads


Follow Me Through Darkness (The Boundless Trilogy #1) by Danielle Ellison
Release Date: October 21, 2014



Why -> I got to read this one as an ARC and was so excited for it to release and have others read it. I loved the story, the mystery, and the twists involved. Really really good. I can't wait for the next book to release in 2015.


Add it on Goodreads



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Release Date: January 10, 2012




Why -> I don't know why I waited so long to read this. Oh wait, yes I do. I didn't want my heart ripped out. Thanks a lot, John. I read the book right before the movie came out. I laughed at the first half of both, and cried like a baby for the last half. I was a wreck. If you haven't read or seen the movie, you must. I know, I'm cruel to suggest tearing your heart out, but it's worth it. Really worth it.


Add it on Goodreads


Six Feet Over It by Jennifer Longo
Release Date: August 26, 2014



Why -> I read this as an ARC and was intrigued before I ever read it just because of the fact that Leigh's father buys a cemetery, where they now live. And sixteen year old Leigh sells graves when she's not in school. To this day I cannot drive past a cemetery without laughing about Leigh and the ending of the book. She's a strong character who grows so much and the turn her life takes as a result of her father's mid-life-crisis-buy-a-cemetery break down. You have to read this one.


Add it on Goodreads



Wait For You Series by J. Lynn
Release Date: September 23, 2014 (for Stay With Me)




Why -> J. Lynn is a pseudonym for Jennifer L. Armentrout, for her new adult contemporary books. So naturally, I love these books. If you love her ya books, you'll more than likely love these as well. There are three more books slated for the series, and each one takes on a different couple, so it's not like you're dying to find out if they get together or not when the story ends. You have closure, unlike most ya books. Anyway, read them.


Add them on Goodreads



Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell
Release Date: October 8, 2014




Why -> Oh my heart! I read this one as an ARC as well, and OMG it was so good. I cried. Again. Another tear jearker book, but it was so freaking good. Lucy and Alex (insert a sigh with his name). Here's a quick dish on why you should read it: New Orleans, an old plantation, voodoo, ghosts, and an epic love story.


Add it on Goodreads



Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer
Release Date: February 4, 2014




Why -> If you have not yet picked up the first book in this series you must do so. The buzz about them is worthy. I devour these books in no time. As a result I will read anything by Marissa Meyer in the future. They are awesome. Fairytales set in the future, and sci-fi. They are the best!


Add it on Goodreads



Suspicion by Alexanra Monir
Release Date: December 9, 2014




Why -> I just finished this book the other week as a ARC and it released on December 9th. It was such a good mystery and I totally did not see that twist at the end coming. I was pleasantly surprised and I really liked Imogen's story. I'm hoping there could be, like, a companion novel, eventually. Maybe from Sebastian Stanhope's POV. *cough* *cough* *wink* *wink*


Add it on Goodreads



After the End (After the End #1) by Amy Plum
Release Date: may 6, 2014




Why -> Amy Plum tore me to bits with the ending of this one. The sequel cannot come soon enough for me. Seriously, if you've read this one then you know why I'm foaming at the mouth to get my hands on After the Beginning. Such a great book.


Add it on Goodreads



Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3) by Veronica Rossi
Release Date: January 28, 2014



Why -> I loved this trilogy so very very much. Perry and Aria were so much fun to read. While I loved this final instalment in their story I'm so sad that it's over. I wanted more of them. And I loved that Rossi also did short stories from Roar and Brooke's POVs. I can't wait to read her next ya project, Riders in 2016.


Add it on Goodreads



Easy (Contours of the Heart #1) by Tammara Webber
Release Date: November 6, 2012




Why -> I kept seeing this book mentioned around the web and when I got into a serious new adult reading binge I picked it up. I'm so glad I did. And then I read Breakable, the sequel and loved it just as much. If you like new adult contemporary then you will love this one as well. I'm sort of sad that there aren't any other books with Jacqueline and Lucas. This is one of those books that I wish I could have the experience of reading it for the first time again and again, but alas that's not to happen since I've read it.


Add it on Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. I've read some of them and loved them :) (Tammara Webber and Jennifer L. Armentrout, John Green) but I do need to add some of the others to my TBR, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It was really hard to choose this list this year. lol

      Delete