Friday, October 2, 2015

The NaNoWriMo Countdown Has Begun

It's that time of year again. You know, the leaves are changing colors, pumpkin spice is invading everything, cooler weather is right around the corner, and plots and characters ware swirling around in writer's minds.

Yup, it's almost NaNoWriMo!

When I first heard about NaNo I thought it was crazy. Seriously, sitting down to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. That's just plain crazy talk. Then I tried it. It worked. November is officially my second favorite month, October is my favorite, but only by a smidgen.

Why do I love NaNo? It forces me to get that rough draft done. Get it written. And it's a great motivator. There are tons of other writers participating. And by tons I'm talking over 325,000 participants in 2014. over 81,000 students and educators participated in the Young Writers Program. That equals a whole lot of fellow writers sending encouraging thoughts, virtual fist bumps, and keeping you on track.

“Image courtesy of National Novel Writing Month.”
As you may have guessed, yes, I will be participating this year. There goes any and all free time. Oh, and sleep. If you see me around and I'm a blubbering fool, know I'll be back to normal at some point in December once I fully recover.

You may notice that I will not be posting any Waiting On Wednesday posts for the next couple months. That is because I will be spending all free time during October outlining and planning out my manuscript for November. I have four separate projects that I would like to work on, but I have yet to narrow down which one I will actually be writing in November. So, I need all the time I can get to explore my options. Only one of them is a young adult. The other three are new adult. Two have fantasy elements while the other two are straight up contemporary. This is a struggle as they all sound really fun to write.

The whole goal of October and November will be to get a new rough draft completed. In the end, it's easier to revise, edit, and polish a manuscript that is written. Until next November I will be revising, editing, and polishing other projects. Hopefully I will get the one that I'm currently reworking back into the query process by February.

If you're skeptical about jumping in and joining here are a few young adult novels that were written during NaNoWriMo.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - She called it some of her "...some of the bravest writing I’ve ever done..."

Born of Illusion by Teri Brown - BOI was her second NaNo novel. If your first attempt at NaNo is more of a bust, don't give up. Go right back and do it again.

Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy -  "To me, it’s the Ironman Triathalon of writing—but with more junk food provisions—because if you’ve completed it, you wear it as a badge of honor."

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard - "I’ve definitely become a better writer as each year passes—meaning less of the words I hammer out get trashed." 

Cinder, Scarlet, & Cress by Marissa Meyer - Yes, the first three books in the Lunar Chronicles were written in ONE NaNoWriMo. "My grand total was 150,011 words." My brain hurts just seeing that word count total.

Let me know if you're doing NaNo this year. Comment below with a link to your NaNo profile so I can add you as a buddy. 
Here's my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment